Website SN Digital (SND) is a technology division of Springer Nature
Springer Nature opens the doors to discovery for researchers, educators, clinicians and other professionals.
We’re looking for a Software Developer who can help us build a top-quality workflow system for researchers, editors, reviewers and internal editorial teams for high volume, open-access content consumption.
SN Digital (SND) is a technology division of Springer Nature. We are responsible for maintaining and delivering millions of articles used by researchers, scientists and students around the globe.
There are about 230 of us in London, Berlin, Lisbon, and Pune. We work in collaborative, multi-disciplinary delivery teams, developing digital products and services that answer user problems and support business goals.
In 2020 we opened a new office in Lisbon, and we’re looking for people who want to become part of a global team aiming to put Springer Nature at the forefront of digital publishing.
The work is interesting and meaningful.
Our culture is collaborative and friendly.
We encourage and support growth, both personal and professional.
Having a good command of English is important; collaboration is important in our day to day work, so being able to communicate your ideas and understand others’ is key.
This is a terrific opportunity for friendly, inquisitive people who want to get involved in our work, who love to learn, who will embrace and develop our culture, and help make SND Lisbon a place where people and ideas can thrive.
We are intentionally looking to create teams that are diverse and inclusive. Diversity is the mix of culture, background, experience and personality that we all bring; inclusion is getting the mix to work better together. We want every member of our teams to contribute to our common goals while respecting each other’s skills, knowledge and needs.
Visit sndigital.springernature.com to learn more about who we are and what we do.
About the Job
We are looking for a skilled and passionate Software Developer to help us build the best products that enable the research community to advance the progress and understanding of science. Our customer-centric approach is fundamental to the way we work.
Springer Nature has a portfolio of over 3,000 peer-reviewed journals and books across all areas of science. The Content Acquisition (CA) programme you’ll be joining is looking at the systems and processes across our imprints, and is working to create a world-class submissions experience for our global audience of academic researchers and editorial staff.
Most of our web applications are built in Kotlin using http4k. Our applications are deployed as micro-services to Cloud Foundry using Concourse CI/CD. Our overall architecture is well established, but the products you’ll be working on are still being planned and you can help influence their development.
We are currently hiring for our Payment and Rights team. This team will focus on providing seamless and clear processes for collecting the payment and content-rights for leading scientific publications. This will help us to build a top-quality payment and content-rights workflow for science publishing as part of a move to open-access content consumption.
You will be joining a cross functional delivery team with different nationalities, backgrounds and experience levels. All team members collaborate to deliver solutions that best satisfy the needs of our business and we are working to create a culture that encourages new ideas and innovation but within the boundaries of the technologies that best suit the vision that Springer Nature has defined.
- You have experience developing software in JVM languages.
- You like working in a geographically distributed and collaborative team, where there is collective ownership of the product.
- You like getting involved with every stage of the software development lifecycle.
- You would enjoy working in a Test Driven environment and would like to understand the benefits.
- You would enjoy pair programming and working in a trunk-based development environment; practicing Continuous Integration and Continuous Delivery.
- You see the value in developers owning production software and view failure as a chance to learn.
What you will be doing
Within 3 Months you will:
- Get familiar with our technology stack. Most of our web applications are built in Kotlin using http4k. We also have some applications in NodeJS. Our applications are deployed to CloudFoundry using Concourse CI/CD.
- Take part in developing new features as a member of the tech team.
- Get familiar with, and take part in, the team’s agile processes and ceremonies.
By 3-6 months you will:
- Be a supportive member of the tech team, developing the platform by using the appropriate technology solutions to solve the problem at hand.
- Mentor team members
- Have an understanding of the team’s context within the publishing business they are working in.
- Be able to understand and discuss business requirements with stakeholders and Product Owners.
- Participate in technical discussions in order to improve the product architecture and code quality.
By 6-12 months you will:
- Understand our customers’ needs, both internal and external, and how your work affects their experience.
- Implement non-functional requirements agreed by the team.
- Contribute to blameless post-mortems.
- Give and receive constructive feedback within your team.
- Take part in the recruiting process, helping to assess applicants.
- Help out during the onboarding of new team members.
Day to day responsibilities
As part of an Agile product team, day-to-day you will:
- Take part in our daily stand-ups.
- Contribute to ceremonies like planning, story writing, collaborative design and retrospectives.
- Develop new features and improve code quality by pair programming with other team members.
- Take part in support and monitoring of our websites.
To apply please upload a copy of your CV and covering letter, stating your salary expectations.
SPRINGER NATURE – springernature.com
Springer Nature employs more than 10,000 people in over 50 markets, and is home to some of the best-known names in research, educational and professional publishing.
We value and celebrate the diversity of our people. We recognise the many benefits of a diverse workforce and strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
Working at the heart of a changing industry, we are always looking for great people who care about delivering quality to our customers and the communities we work alongside. In return, we provide opportunities to learn from some of the best in the business, with a culture that encourages curiosity and empowers people to find solutions and act on their instincts.
In addition, we offer:
- Private Health Insurance for you and your partner and children if applicable – Medis TOP + serious illnesses
- Personal accidents insurance
- Work Accidents Insurance – by law
- Food allowance, € 7,63 EUR per working day via meal card
- Up to 5 additional days off
- In Portugal we have 22 vacation days by law after 1 year of service.
- We will offer you 2 additional days off from the start.
- After 1 year of service: 1 additional day = 25 days
- After 2 years of service: 1 additional day = 26 days
- After 3 years of service: 1 additional day = 27 days
- “Jubilee day” off after 5 years of service
- Up to 3 times a year, up to 3 days SN will “continue to pay” the salary for those sick days, as the first 3 days sick leave (baixa medica) are not covered by social security
- Up to 4 days per week working from home depending on Business Area
- Work Mobile Phone
- Travel costs compensation for the commute to the office via a commute card (company NIF) up to max. € 40 per month
- Access to LinkedIn Learning via our internal learning and development platform LEAP
- Free access to all SN Publications
- Access to Safari Books (O’Reilly)
- 10% time, or ‘hack day’ – depending on IT department
*INTERVIEW/HIRING PROCESS DURING COVID-19 PANDEMIC
To protect our candidates’ and interviewers’ health and wellbeing, all interviews will be on the phone and/or via video conferencing applications. If you are chosen to be interviewed, we’ll get in touch with the details.
If you are successful and are offered a position, we understand that you may wish to delay your start date; we are happy to be flexible and work with you on what suits you best. For now, all roles will be remote, but will move onsite when restrictions are lifted.
We have put in place a remote onboarding process to ensure new starters have all the equipment, knowledge and contacts they need to be able to start their new career.
You will have a dedicated contact during the recruitment process whom you can contact with any
At Springer Nature we value the diversity of our teams. We recognize the many benefits of a diverse workforce with equitable opportunities for everyone. We strive for an inclusive workplace that empowers all our colleagues to thrive. Our search for the best talent fully encompasses and embraces these values and principles.
To apply for this job email your details to firstname.lastname@example.org